So whilst browsing Google+ one day (yes, someone still uses G+!), I discovered a wargamer playing with some paper miniatures, printed on their normal printer. Just simple silhouettes of modern soldiers, but effective enough for proxies on the cheap.
So I decided to go one better, and 3D print my own equivalent!
So, I finished painting up my sci-fi motorbike cops. They didn’t come out great – I tried OSL and failed, and my concrete bases look a bit pants, but I’ve had enough of these guys now, and need to move on with my lead mountain!
So I painted up some Xenos this week. I apologize for the photo, that much black doesn’t play well with my potato cam skills.
But these are some Khurusan “space demon” minis, with a judicious bit of greenstuff to round out their heads. Now to get some good marines for a nice Aliens set. Also going to make some greenstuff eggs as objective markers… But my sculpting needs more practice first!
I recently got a phone with a much better camera, so enjoy some nicer pictures. There are details now!
I finished a squad of Saurians from 15mm.co.uk, and I’m happy with how they came out. The white and yellow spacesuit colours contrast nicely with the green skin. And my highlighting blends nice and naturally, although its not very prominent. I’ve kept the same basing technique as well, so they match my previous squad nicely.
The only thing I need to change is how I do weapons, as I don’t think they look as good as the rest of the model.
Now I have 2 squads, its time to make some nice terrain, and play some 5 parsecs!
Apologies for the crappy pics, I’m working on a ghetto lightbox at the moment!
Happy with how my 5 test models from the SMAT Battle Squad came out, I sat down and painted the rest the same way. I’m more than happy with how the basin came out… Its supposed to be a lunar/asteroid type surface which I sculpted in green stuff, and I think it came our just right. These 12 guys will make wonderful generic goons for vacuum/thin atmosphere scenarios. Or just as general armour!
I also made a bit of terrain – a little fence made from green stuff and coffee stirrers, and some ISO shipping containers. These were some papercraft designs I printed on photo paper, then folded up. Although originally for 28mm, a little resize before printing did wonders. I found them at TopoSolitario – he has a few more designs there, I may try and adapt more for 15mm.